MIDI, Programming and Synthesis
|Course Name||MIDI, Programming and Synthesis|
|Category||Media, Arts and Design|
|Description||MIDI, Programming and Synthesis covers all aspects of MIDI, including connecting a system and programming a song. It also has you produce a MIDI recording.
Through realistic hands-on assignments, tests, a practical exam and a final exam, you will learn about: system interconnection, typical MIDI channels, MIDI messages (channel and system), electronic musical instruments (keyboard instruments and percussion), sequencers, mixing in the MIDI environment and more.
The tests measure your knowledge of these topics while assignments see you mixing MIDI files, recording a short MIDI sequence and using MIDI to compose, record, edit and mix.
Once you successfully complete MIDI, Programming and Synthesis, you will be able to:
• Identify the different components of a MIDI system;
• Connect several MIDI devices into a daisy chain;
• Compose using MIDI notes and sequences;
• Record MIDI notes and sequences;
• Edit MIDI notes and sequences;
• Mix MIDI notes and sequences;
• Operate software and hardware-based MIDI sequencers;
• Identify the properties of sound;
• Differentiate between loudness and sound pressure level;
• Digitize sound waves;
• Edit and manipulate digitized sound by using various DSP tools;
• Encode digitized sound using various codes.
|Notes||Prerequisite: Digital Audio Recording for Music RECA-222
Co-requisite: Digital Audio Music Production with Protools RECA339
Register online : https://secure.centennialcollege.ca/webreg or call 416-289-5300
416-289-5000 ex. 2246
|Section||Cost||Semester||Start Date||End Date||Meeting Times||Campus|
|Story Arts Centre|
|Legend for Days
M - Monday T - Tuesday W - Wednesday R - Thursday F - Friday S - Saturday U - Sunday
TBA - To Be Announced