Fundamentals of Music Arranging for Producers RECA-341
|Course Name||Fundamentals of Music Arranging for Producers|
|Category||Media, Arts and Design|
|Description||Music Theory and Arranging for Production explores, in depth, the elements of music with a focus on how they relate to contemporary production.
You will be introduced to the popular vocabulary of music, essential in communicating with music professionals. Also studied and incorporated into the development of a MIDI-based production are musical structure, rhythm, melody and harmony. Rounding out the topics in Music Theory and Arranging for Production are recognizing common time signatures, tempo considerations, how to notate a rhythm you hear in your head, understanding different types of melodic motion, extended harmony and altered chords, chord substitution theory, and much more.
The course comprises a range of assignments and tests. For example, you may be tasked with charting the structure of a piece of music and tested on writing out all of the major scales with correct key signatures on staff paper, writing out chords fit into each major scale on staff paper and fitting chords to a popular melody.
Once you complete this course, you will be able to:
• Recognize common time signatures;
• Count bars and measures;
• Chart musical form;
• Recognize instrumentation;
• Notate a rhythm;
• Recognize complex time signatures;
• Understand phrasing;
• Understand different types of melodic motion;
• Recognize the tonal centre or root note;
• Understand different types of chords;
• Identify common chord progressions;
• Fit chords to an existing melody;
• Write a melody to existing chords;
• Identify and chart the structure of a piece of music;
• Identify all of the major scales with correct key signatures;
• Identify which chords fit into each major scale.
|Notes||Register online : https://secure.centennialcollege.ca/webreg or call 416-289-5300
416-289-5000 ex. 2246
|Section||Cost||Semester||Start Date||End Date||Meeting Times||Campus|
|Story Arts Centre|
|Legend for Days
M - Monday T - Tuesday W - Wednesday R - Thursday F - Friday S - Saturday U - Sunday
TBA - To Be Announced