Developing Communication Skills (ESL) COMM-131
|Course Name||Developing Communication Skills (ESL)|
|Description||This course is designed to assist students in developing their language skills in reading, vocabulary acquisition, writing, speaking, and listening. The course will foster an understanding of cultural references related to studying, working, and living in a Canadian context. All of these skills are critical for success in their college programs. This course prepares students for COMM141. Professors who teach this course are T.E.S.L. (Teacher of English as a Second Language) certified.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. apply sufficient vocabulary, idioms, and colloquial expressions to enhance reading comprehension;
2. identify main ideas and supporting details;
3. use headings, subheadings, skimming, and scanning techniques as well as inference skills for prediction and comprehension;
4. use active listening skills to process information from a range of sources to accomplish desired goals;
5. produce comprehensible speech regarding various topics individually and in small groups;
6. write a variety of sentence types (simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex) demonstrating good control of verb tense, word form, and punctuation; and
7. express responses to questions about readings using well-developed, grammatically correct sentences.
|Notes||To Register Online: https://secure.centennialcollege.ca/webreg or call Enrolment Services at 416-289-5300
BEFORE REGISTERING FOR AN ENGLISH COURSE (CREDIT) YOU WILL NEED TO BE ASSESSED
If you would like to study English at the college level, we need to determine which of our many English courses is right for you. We do this by having you demonstrate your skills in an assessment.
To register for an assessment you need a Centennial student identification number. If you have never taken a course at Centennial before, please call 416-289-5300 to get a student number and book an assessment.
If you have taken a course here before, you are already in our student records, and you can book your assessment online at centennialcollege.ca/skillsassessment or call 416-289-5300.
|Section||Cost||Semester||Start Date||End Date||Meeting Times||Campus|
|Legend for Days
M - Monday T - Tuesday W - Wednesday R - Thursday F - Friday S - Saturday U - Sunday
TBA - To Be Announced