Developing Communication Skills COMM-130
|Course Name||Developing Communication Skills|
|Description||This course is designed to assist students in developing their language skills in reading, vocabulary acquisition, writing, speaking, and listening. These skills are needed for success in the student&amp;#039;s college programs. This course prepares students for the next English level which is, COMM140 - Essential English Skills.
Course Learning Outcomes
The student will reliably demonstrate the ability to:
1. employ vocabulary building strategies;
2. identify main ideas and supporting details;
3. use headings, subheadings, skimming, and scanning techniques as well as inference skills for prediction and comprehension;
4. use active listening skills to process information from a range of sources to accomplish desired goals;
5. produce comprehensible speech regarding various topics individually and in small groups;
6. write a variety of sentence types (simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex) demonstrating good control of verb tense, word form, and punctuation; and
7. express responses to comprehension questions about readings using well-developed, grammatically correct sentences.
|Notes||To Register Online: https://secure.centennialcollege.ca/webreg or call Enrolment Services at 416-289-5300
BEFORE REGISTERING FOR AN ENGLISH COURSE (CREDIT) YOU WILL NEED TO BE ASSESSED
If you would like to study English courses at the college level, we need to determine which of our many English courses is right for you. We do this by having you demonstrate your skills in an assessment.
To register for an assessment you need a Centennial Student identification number. If you have never taken a course at Centennial before, please call 416-289-5300 to get a student number and book an assessment.
If you have take a course here before, you are already in our student records, and can book your assessment online at centennialcollege.ca/skillsassessment or call 416-289-5300.
|Section||Cost||Semester||Start Date||End Date||Meeting Times||Campus|
|Legend for Days
M - Monday T - Tuesday W - Wednesday R - Thursday F - Friday S - Saturday U - Sunday
TBA - To Be Announced